Recording audio tracks is an essential function in any DAW. In this post, we’ll show you how to record audio in Cakewalk by Bandlab.
What You Need
Obviously, you’ll need a microphone. You can use just about any mic:
- An XLR microphone running through an audio interface
- A USB microphone
- Your computer’s built-in microphone
How to Record an Audio in Cakewalk
Open your session and make sure you’re in the track view. Then follow these steps to record an audio track:
1. Add an audio track using the [+] Add Track button. A menu will pop up with tabs that read “Audio” and “Instrument”. Make sure Audio is selected.
- Helpful Shortcut: Press CTRL+T to quickly insert an audio track.
2. Select your microphone from the list of inputs. You’ll find that list in a drop-down menu below the track name.
3. Click the Record Enable button on your audio track. You can only record audio when this is on. Once it’s on, you’re ready to record.
4. If you need, check your audio levels to make sure your recording won’t be too loud or soft. You may need to make adjustments to the mic’s gain or position.
5. Press the Record Button at the top of the screen to start recording (or press R). To stop recording, press the Record Button again, or hit the Space Bar.
Congratulations! You’ve recorded an audio track!
More Resources for Your Home Studio
We’ve put together some additional guides to help you get started with your musical journey:
- The Recording Engineer’s Handbook – This book covers everything you’ll ever need to know about microphones and recording techniques
- 32 Tips for Mixing Music That Sounds Awesome – Level up your mixing skills with these easy tips. It covers the basics of mixing, as well as some recording..
- How to Build a Cheap Home Studio Under $200 – Build out your first home recording studio on a budget.
Basically, the Bible for recording engineers. It covers topics like mic placement, recording techniques, and interviews with legendary studio engineers.